Friday, November 02, 2007

...

Salam to all,

As you all know, I finished my hight school this year with a good average, high enough to enter the collage I want.

After I got my mark, I began to think seriously about what I want to be. I always dream to go to Pharmacy College but for some reason I hesitated about it.

To be a pharmacist is a good and suitable job for me if I will work in Iraq. But Will I have a future as a pharmacist if I’ll leave Iraq!! . I don’t trust the situation to be better tomorrow.

So, I was between choosing to go to pharmacy college, Dentistry College and Art cultural college. I asked for advices, I hear people opinions and I was completely lost. I was really unable to take a decision and that make me feel very angry.

After a while I removed Art cultural college from my list and I began to take different decision everyday, everyday I change my mind and everyday I fall apart.

I compare between the two collages and it’s led me to:

If I chose Dentistry College I will be called a doctor, I will have a future job outside Iraq. Dentistry College is easier to study than Pharmacy College, the building of dentistry college loohs great, but in the other hand, I will be hated by all children and I am not sure if I will not hate myself too. I can’t imagine myself putting my hand in someone’s mouth. I can’t stand the smell of the mouths. At the end, I asked my dentist for advice and he said that pharmacy is more suitable for women.

Although, Pharmacy is very hard college, may not have a good future as a job, the building of pharmacy’s college look like a Gail and pharmacist are called chemists in some other countries; but I am very much like chemistry and I am in love with everything associated with it. Pharmacy was always the college I dreamed of. So I took my options and write:

Mosul University, the college of pharmacy as the first option

Mosul University, the college of dentistry as the second option

Usually, Medicine College is the college number one which needs the highest marks; the dentistry college is the college number two and then pharmacy college. Although my marks are high enough to go to Medicine College, but I never think to be a doctor. It’s a hard job in Iraq especially after the war. Doctors are in danger to be kidnapped and to be murder plus they have to sleep in the hospitals. And I am completely surrounded by doctor, my father, my uncle, my sister and my brother in law. I don’t think I am going to be good on that, seeing blood, seeing injured people. I have a weak heart, I know I can’t stand all that.

Anyway, although I chose Pharmacy College but I have to take an exam and then my mark will lead me to one of the two colleges: pharmacy or dentistry.

I am eager to go to college but the problem is, I am not studying. I tried and tried but I got nothing. I can’t focus in what I am reading; in fact I read the book and my mind in something else. I can’t help it… But my position is still good, even if I'll get zero.

:)

see you later,

The girl who was H.N.K

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HNK,

I don’t know if you would want to come to America, but we seem to have a program for foreign-educated pharmacists -- Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Certification.(FPGEC)

http://www.uh.edu/pharmacy/admissions/internatfpgec.htm

As I read it, if you go to a 5-year pharmacy school in another country, get your license and certification there you can come here and pass this test and they will license and certify you here. If you Google it you’ll find study guides and CDs.

I understand why you probably don’t want to come to the country that destroyed yours but other countries must have similar programs if you want to leave Iraq. Canada is nice.

This is just something for you to think about for the next few years – maybe by then Iraq will be better – let’s hope and pray!!

I think you made a good decision. My dentist has an assistant who was a dentist in Colombia for ten years and can’t practice dentistry here. It’s the same with many doctors from other countries who now are nurses or medical assistants in hospitals. They have to take two or three more years of courses to practice here.

I just got curious about pharmacists and looked up what the options are. Maybe another reader will know more than me.

Good luck with your studies this year and post as often as you can.

Please be safe!
Jane

David said...

Congratulations on your very high average Hnk!

Well, I don't know about other countries, but here in America, pharmacists are very much in demand and they are paid very high salaries. Also, you don't have to stop with a college degree in pharmacy. You could attend graduate school outside of Iraq and earn a Masters or Ph.D. in pharmacology. With an advanced degree you would do far more than just dispense medication. You would be consulting with physicians or maybe working to develop new medications.

I don't think you have to worry about having a future outside Iraq with a pharmacy degree. I think there would be many opportunities for you!

What do you mean "The girl who was H.N.K."? Who are you now? ;)

Anonymous said...

I think I can understand why you have a hard time studying with all that is going on around you. I am sure that you will be sucsessful in what ever you choose to do. Why are you no longer HNK?

John said...

I always advise people to apply to as many places as they can, because you might be offered a scholarship. You could apply in different countries too. If you want to apply to anywhere in my country (USA) and would like any help then let me know.
I also have a friend who is a professor the United Arab Emirates whose email address I could give you.
Stay safe -- stay HNK (or whoever you are inside)
Best wishes & a prayer

John said...

P.S. Congratulations on your good grades! That's an important achievement

Anonymous said...

You know, there are other things you can do with your chemistry skills other than be a pharmacist. If you want to, you can be a chemical engineer, an environmental scientist, etc. Of course, you don't have to decide today for the rest of your life. The important thing is to learn all you can, and you are doing that.